by Anna Hunt
A diet full of natural healthy foods is a guaranteed way to help the body maintain optimal function. Unfortunately however, the mass production of food means many live foods sold in supermarkets and stores are depleted of nutrients due to the overuse of chemicals in soil and during food production. Moreover, at times our bodies need a little extra help to clear away toxic debris that collects in the body from processed foods and environmental pollution.
Thus, supplementing your diet with superfoods is a way that you can support the body’s systems. Of course, different superfoods serve different functions. That is why it’s important to get a wide variety of superfoods. Below is a list of eleven foods that offer an impressive assortment of nutrients, leaving you supercharged and energetic.
1. Moringa is a plant that offers all of the essential amino acids. These substances make up proteins that the body needs to maintain cells. For example, the body uses amino acids to grow new cells and repair damaged ones.
2. Chlorella is a green algae that’s high in protein and helps the body clear way heavy metals. In addition, chlorella is also high in healthy fats needed by the brain.
3. Spirulina is another good source of plant protein. Moreover, it delivers calcium and iron needed by the body’s many systems. As a result, spirulina can help you be more energetic and feel stronger.
4. Mint is a very popular herb that adds a strong minty flavour to food and drink. Mint leaves can effectively aide with digestive ailments, such as indigestion and stomach cramps. In addition, mint can help with sleep.
5. Matcha green tea makes a refreshing drink that’s high in antioxidants. It benefits the body by regulating appetite, helping the body normalise hormone levels, and by reducing stress.
6. Ashwagandha or Indian ginseng, is another plant that helps the body cope with stress. This includes stress caused by toxins from the environment, as well as internal stress that could lead to anxiety and depression. Ashwagandha offers a very beneficial blend of amino acids and vitamins.
7. Lemon is a very common citrus fruit that acts as an effective appetite suppressor. Consuming lemon can help alkalise the body to improve the body’s pH, which is important because most processed and fried foods make our bodies too acidic.
8. Beetroot offers a healthy dose of folate and manganese. Raw beetroot juice is a good way to add this superfood into your diet. Also, baked beetroot provides the body with many nutrients that can improve circulation and aide vascular function.
9. Wheatgrass is so rich in nutrients that a small shot of wheatgrass juice could substitute a whole plate of vegetables (except perhaps the re). This plant has over 100 unique vitamins and nutrients.
10. Turmeric is so effective in fighting off inflammation that mainstreams doctors are starting to recommend turmeric consumption for ailments such as arthritis. This orange root is also a very powerful antioxidant.
11. Coconut water is a natural refreshing beverage that’s high in potassium. It is so beneficial for the body that medics used coconut water in place of plasma during times of war when blood supplies were limited.