By J.D. Heyes
In an attempt to eat better, many people opt to replace farm-fresh eggs and grass-fed meats with tofu, mostly likely because we’ve been “fed” a line by the soy industry that it is a healthier option.
But experts are finding that that’s not the case and, in fact, the opposite is still the better natural food alternative, reports Woman’s Vibe. In particular, tofu is anything but a “healthy” option, “so it is advisable that you stick to your common habits and continue eating grass- fed sic meat, organic eggs and raw dairy industry products,” the site notes.
Western food processors tend to divide soybeans into oil and protein, which is generally unstable and unsafe because it incorporates high pressure, high temperatures, alkali, acid baths and petroleum solvents, all of which combine to release carcinogenic poisons.
“These fractionated products isolate and hydrolyse plant protein since all processed soy has trypsin which impedes proper digestion, as well as phytates which obstruct the absorption of minerals,” the website reported.
So many disorders
Prior research has shown that a diet rich in soy products can lead to a number of health problems that include:
- Reproductive disorders
- Soy allergies
- Increased homocysteine (non-protein amino acid) levels (which may cause increased risk of cardiovascular disease)
- Thyroid problems leading to hair loss, loss of libido, malaise, lethargy and weight gain
- Developmental issues in babies and children, including premature puberty
In 1999, Dr. Dan Sheehan and Dr. Daniel Doerge, government researchers at the National Center for Toxicological Research, sent a letter to the Food and Drug Administration to require warning labels for soy, but the plea was ignored. The pair also wanted the FDA to retract a statement it approved a year earlier claiming that soy prevents cardiovascular diseases, which the agency also ignored.
“Soy products should not be consumed by pregnant women, as well as children. Namely, babies and children are most prone to the mimicking effects of the hormone in soy,” Woman’s Vibe reported further, adding:
“The daily exposure to oestrogen-imitating chemicals in children who eat soy formulas has been found to be 6-11 times higher than in the case of adults who ate soy foods. Moreover, the hormones’ concentration has been 13,000-22,000 times higher than the levels of oestrogen in the blood. This amount is the same as 5 birth control pills daily. Hence, always give your children natural and organic foods.”
Hazardous side effects of soy
The site further noted that there are a number of reasons why you should eliminate soy from your diet:
- Soybeans contain hemagglutinins, which can lead to blood clots
- The vast majority of soybeans are genetically modified, and are also full of herbicides and pesticides
- The goitrogens in soy can reduce or lower the overall functionality of the thyroid gland
- Soybeans contain phytates which block the absorption of essential minerals like zinc, iron, calcium and magnesium
- “Soybeans are rich in anti- nutrients (natural toxins) like inhibitors that block the enzyme secretion which is necessary for the protein digestion and are not destroyed in the cooking process,” reports Woman’s Vibe. “This causes an extensive gastric disease and chronic amino acid intake deficiencies, leading to damage of the pancreas, and even cancer.”
In July 2013, NaturalNews reported that there were some compelling reasons to cut soy from your diet. They included:
- Soybeans contain large amounts of toxins: Unlike with other foods where any toxins are destroyed or deactivated during cooking, the toxins in soybeans remain intact”
- Soybeans can interfere with the absorption of nutrients during digestion
- Soybeans are among the most highly pesticide-infested agricultural products on the market
- Soybeans contain specific elements and ingredients that are hazardous to your health
Soy products linked to cancer in lab tests: Four very convincing reasons to cut soy from your diet today
As time goes by, people are steadily waking up to some of the proven facts about soy, such as the knowledge that most soy is GMO. If that is the case, one can deduce that to solve the problem one can simply buy organic soy products. While it’s true that organic soy is healthier for you than GMO soy, there are other facts about soy that pose serious health risks. Here are four facts that debunk soy as a healthy food choice.
Four reasons to phase-out most soy products on the market:
1. Soybeans contain large amounts of toxins
Unlike with other foods where any toxins are destroyed or deactivated during cooking, the toxins in soybeans remain intact. Some of these toxins, or “enzyme inhibitors,” block the actions of enzymes needed for the digestion of protein. The enzyme inhibitors in soy are linked to cancer in lab animal tests. Test animals fed enzyme inhibitors developed enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including pancreatic cancer.
2. Soybeans can interfere with nutrient absorption during digestion
This is because soy is high in phytic acid, which has been shown to block absorption of minerals calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc.
3. Soybeans are among the most highly pesticide-contaminated foods on the market.
As you probably know, pesticides are a toxic, distorted-energy-spin substance, linked to a variety of ailments. Soy products also contain high levels of aluminum, a life-force sapping heavy metal which does not belong in foods that we put in our bodies, as it has bio-accumulative negative health effects. The aluminum in soy comes from the aluminum tanks in which the beans are acid washed and heat-processed.
4. Soybeans contain haemagglutinin, nitrites, soy protein isolates, and goitrogens.
Each of these substances has a particular negative effect on your health. Haemagglutinin is a blood clot-promoting substance which causes red blood cells to clump together. Nitrites are powerful carcinogens which form when soybeans are spray-dried (carcinogens are potential cancer-causing agents). Soy protein isolates have been shown to enlarge the pancreas and thyroid gland and also increase fatty acid deposits in the liver. Goitrogens are found in soy-based foods in large amounts. They block thyroid hormone production. All of the above substances have the effect of disrupting body chemistry and hormones.
Wait a minute! I thought soy was good for me?
Like me, you’ve probably been under the impression that soy was healthy for years. In which case, the truth turns out to be shocking as it was to me. And still, proponents of soy will assert that Asian cultures have been safely eating soy for thousands of years. However, this has been debunked as only a partial truth.
Asians began eating soybeans 2,500 years ago only after figuring out how to ferment it. Ancient Asian cultures knew that soybeans contain multiple toxic substances even after cooking. It is only through the process of fermentation that toxins in soy are safely neutralized.
Soy: Healthy in the right form
The distorted half-truth about soy having beneficial, health-enhancing properties is actually based on fact. The truth however, is that the beneficial properties of soy are only made available during fermentation when a special mould grows on the beans. Fermentation has the dual purpose of making the nutrients in soy bio-available, while simultaneously destroying the toxins.
Fermented soy products include tempeh, miso, and natto. As for tofu, the toxic enzyme inhibitors live in the soaking liquid around the tofu, not the tofu curd itself. Thus, the toxins in tofu are reduced in quantity but not eliminated.